Monday, October 30, 2017

Week 9 - Happy Halloween!


This week has been absolutely fantastic! I'm slightly concerned that I've already hit the high point of my mission, because I can't imagine missionary work getting any better! I've seen miracles and felt the Spirit so strongly! First off, the Meridian Temple open house went into full swing this week. Last Monday, Elder Bacon and I were disappointed because we didn't think we'd be able to go with anyone to the temple this week. We prayed for opportunities, and God answered. Tuesday through Saturday, we found opportunities to visit the temple every day, each with a new investigator. Walking through the tour of the new temple, I felt and saw the beauty and sanctity of the temple, and saw it change the hearts of those we went through the tour with. Here's an example:

Tuesday: We meet a family outside after we leave an appointment. The daughters are interested in learning more about the church, but the mother is quite against it.
Wednesday: The parents "coincidentally" have errands to run right next to the temple, so we go through the open house with them. The Spirit is strong, and the mother really opens up.
Thursday: The mother sends us a text to ask if we're free that evening. She loved the temple so much that she wants to bring all of her children and show them. The children visit the temple, and "want to become Mormons."
Friday - Present: Mother texts us daily to invite us over and asks if there's a limit on the number of times families can visit the temple. They're going to attend the Trunk or Treat and we'll be teaching the family this week.

Seeing families become closer and happier this week has made me soooooo happy. I know the temple is the House of the Lord and it allows families to be together forever. I'm so grateful for the Meridian Temple and I'm excited to see it change lives.
Elder Doyle and Elder Bacon at the Meridian Temple open house

Here's one little story that totally blew my mind: I've been cutting my hands up whenever we do service projects cuz I don't have gloves. I could've gotten some at Walmart on P-day if I remembered, but I never did. Anyway, One morning after a wood-cutting service project, I just mentioned in my prayer that I needed gloves. That night, we walk into our room, and on each of our beds is a pair of gloves. We asked the people who we're staying with if they knew where the gloves came from. The wife said that she had thrown our clothes into the washing machine (cuz she's awesome and does our laundry) and there were no gloves. But a couple hours later, when she opened up the washer, two brand new pairs of gloves were sitting on top of the load. She has no idea how they got there. AHHH IT'S SO CRAZY! We're seeing little miracles like that all the time and it's blowing my mind. Exact obedience really does bring miracles. 

This weekend, Elder Gary E. Stevenson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles visited for our stake conference. I learned so much from both him and the Spirit, and there were words said in the talks that were exactly what was needed by certain investigators that we had invited to attend. After the meeting, I was able to go up and thank both Elder Stevenson and the member of the Seventy that accompanied him for listening to the Spirit when preparing and giving their talks. They had literally changed the lives of some of our investigators. Elder Budge of the Seventy let me know that he had no idea what to say when he stood up to speak, and the Spirit had directed him to give that message. He didn't know why. That experience strengthened my testimony that these men are called by God, and God knows what His children need. 

Weekly Challenge: This week, focus on strengthening your relationship with your family. Spend time with each other, be kind to each other, and serve each other. God places us in families for a reason, so figure out one of the many reasons that you were placed in this specific family. 

Have A Great Week,
Elder Doyle

No comments:

Post a Comment